Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Backup a minute..

Ok.. another yawner of a post but hey that is me. I am working on process of backing up the VM's in an environment and making it as quick to recover as possible. In my search I ran across a product called esXpress v3.1. It is pretty cool (ok as cool as VM software can be). It does a couple things:

1. It will put a VM into "Snapshot Mode" and then perform a backup of the VMDK.
2. It can put the VMDK backup to SMB/FTP or SSH.
3. After it is done it will remove the snapshot.

THIS IS DONE WHILE THE VM IS RUNNING! HOW COOL IS THAT!

Oh and I did not mention the best part. The software is FREE! Now there are additonal features such as being able to make backups local and remote at the same time, having additional helper machines, encryption and other things.

Check it out at www.esxpress.com

No comments: