Wednesday, November 26, 2008

So this would make it easier..

I am in the process of creating a script that will look @ a text file (from and AV scan in this case )and then email a portion of it to someone. We have five Red Hat servers and in the time it has taken for me to beat this into submission I could MANUALLY check AV scan file.

However, I digress. In the process I am learning some PERL, a little HTML and a program called sendEmail-v1.55.tar.gz. This program looks like a god-send and will come in handy in the future I can see.

The broad strokes of the process is this:
1. AV scans system (I know scanning for Viruses on a Linux box .. don't get me started)
2. Perl script runs and parses the AV scan log and then creates an HTML file.
3. sendEmail uses the HTML file as the body of the email to the admin folks to allow them to quickly see if there is a problem or not.

The sendEmail program will communicate directly to an SMTP server (if you do not know what this is... might want to read up a little bit) and it is all done @ a command line and easy to script.

Well all for now. Hope everyones Thanksgiving goes well.

No comments: